Purpose of capacitor bank
Capacitors consume active power and release reactive power. They also present low impedance to harmonics. Thus, they are installed in substations to:
- Correct power factor by injecting reactive volt-amp a.k.a. VARs.
- Filter out harmonics (when used in conjunction with reactor and resistor)
Cost of capacitor bank
Cost depends on the MVAR rating and whether it is an indoor or outdoor unit.
- 34kV 6000KVAR capacitor in a metal-clad switchgear: ~$70,000
- 12kV 9000KVAR capacitor in a metal-clad switchgear: ~$100,000
- 138kV 60,000KVAR capacitor in outdoor metal rack: ~$200,000
Lead time to procure capacitor bank
Information on cost and lead time is for your general knowledge only. Contact vendor with your equipment specifications for actual figures.