Purpose of transformer
Transformers are designed to do one of the following:
- Step-up voltage; consequently step-down current – enables long-distance transmission by reducing I^2\times R copper losses
- Step-down voltage; consequently step-up current – enables distribution of power to customers at a safe voltage magnitude
When equipped on a distribution transformer, the load tap changer keeps the secondary voltage constant as the load increases or decreases.
Cost of transformer
The cost of a power transformer varies significantly based on BIL rating, MVA rating, core design, guaranteed losses requirement, tank design, etc. The prices listed below are for a standard design transformer.
- Small power transformer with LTC ~10MVA or lower: ~ $600,000
- Medium power transformer with LTC ~50MVA or lower: ~$1,400,000
- Large power transformer ~300MVA or lower: ~ $3,500,000
Lead time to procure transformer
~ 1 year, regardless of MVA rating.
Information on cost and lead time is for your general knowledge only. Contact vendor with your equipment specifications for actual figures.